KMG Prestige is a property management company that operates in several states across the United States. In recent years, the company has been involved in a number of lawsuits alleging a variety of wrongdoing, including housing discrimination, illegal evictions, and unfair trade practices.
One of the most notable KMG Prestige lawsuits is a class action lawsuit filed in 2019 by tenants at the company’s Michaelmas Manor apartment complex in Toledo, Ohio. The lawsuit alleges that KMG Prestige discriminated against tenants with disabilities and violated their fair housing rights. The lawsuit is still ongoing, but in 2022, the Ohio Court of Appeals ruled in favor of the tenants on a number of key issues.
Another KMG Prestige lawsuit that has drawn attention is a case filed by a former tenant named Dawn Bell. Bell alleges that KMG Prestige and other defendants trafficked her and her children and participated in a hate crime against her. The lawsuit was dismissed in 2022, but Bell has appealed the decision.
In addition to these high-profile cases, KMG Prestige has also been the subject of numerous smaller lawsuits alleging a variety of wrongdoing. For example, the company has been sued for failing to maintain its properties, for illegally charging tenants late fees, and for retaliating against tenants who complain about their living conditions.
What Tenants Can Do
If you are a tenant at a KMG Prestige property, there are a few things you can do to protect yourself:
- Know your rights. Tenants have a number of rights under the law, including the right to fair housing and the right to safe and habitable living conditions. You can learn more about your rights from the Fair Housing Center or your local tenants’ rights organization.
- Document everything. If you have any problems with your KMG Prestige property, be sure to document them in writing. This could include taking photos of damage to your unit, keeping copies of all communications with the landlord, and writing down the names and dates of any conversations you have with management staff.
- If you have a problem, try to resolve it with the landlord first. If you are unable to resolve the problem directly with the landlord, you may need to file a complaint with your local housing authority or file a lawsuit.
KMG Prestige has a history of being sued by its tenants. If you are a tenant at a KMG Prestige property, it is important to know your rights and to document any problems you have with your unit or the landlord. If you are unable to resolve a problem directly with the landlord, you may need to file a complaint or file a lawsuit.
Q: What are the most common complaints against KMG Prestige?
A: The most common complaints against KMG Prestige include housing discrimination, illegal evictions, unfair trade practices, and failure to maintain properties.
Q: What can I do if I am a tenant at a KMG Prestige property and I have a problem?
A: If you are a tenant at a KMG Prestige property and you have a problem, you should try to resolve it with the landlord first. If you are unable to resolve the problem directly with the landlord, you may need to file a complaint with your local housing authority or file a lawsuit.
Q: How do I file a complaint against KMG Prestige?
A: To file a complaint against KMG Prestige, you can contact your local housing authority. You can also file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) or the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB).
Q: How do I file a lawsuit against KMG Prestige?
A: To file a lawsuit against KMG Prestige, you will need to consult with an attorney. An attorney can help you assess your case and determine whether you have a viable claim.
Q: What are my chances of winning a lawsuit against KMG Prestige?
A: Your chances of winning a lawsuit against KMG Prestige will depend on the specific facts of your case. However, the company has a history of being sued by its tenants, and many of these lawsuits have been successful.
Q: What damages can I recover if I win a lawsuit against KMG Prestige?
A: If you win a lawsuit against KMG Prestige, you may be able to recover damages such as lost rent, moving expenses, and emotional distress. You may also be able to recover punitive damages, which are intended to punish the company for its wrongdoing.
- KMG Prestige Lawsuits: What You Need to Know: https://www.bbb.org/us/mi/mount-pleasant/profile/commercial-property-management/kmg-prestige-0372-38287802/complaints
- Ohio Court of Appeals Rules in Favor of Tenants in KMG Prestige Lawsuit: https://casetext.com/case/mccree-v-kmg-prestiege-co