Integral Senior Living (ISL) is one of the largest senior living operators in the United States, with over 1,000 facilities nationwide. In recent years, ISL has been the subject of numerous lawsuits alleging elder neglect, abuse, and financial exploitation.
What are the allegations against ISL?
In a 2022 lawsuit filed in California, a coalition of district and city attorneys alleged that ISL misrepresented the quality of care at its 10 skilled nursing facilities in the state. The lawsuit alleged that ISL overstated the number of hours nurses provided care, which allowed the facilities to receive higher star ratings from the state. The lawsuit also alleged that ISL failed to properly prepare residents for transfers and discharges.
In another lawsuit filed in 2023, a family alleged that their loved one died from neglect at an ISL facility in Texas. The lawsuit alleged that the facility failed to provide the resident with adequate food and water, and that the resident developed bedsores as a result.
How have these lawsuits been resolved?
The lawsuit filed in California was settled in 2023 for $3.25 million. As part of the settlement, ISL agreed to appoint a monitor to oversee compliance at its Kern County facility and pay $2.4 million in civil penalties.
The lawsuit filed in Texas is still ongoing.
What are the implications of these lawsuits for seniors and their families?
The lawsuits against ISL raise serious concerns about the quality of care at senior living facilities across the country. Seniors and their families should be aware of the risks associated with placing loved ones in senior living facilities and carefully research any facility before making a decision.
How can seniors and their families protect themselves?
Here are some tips for seniors and their families to protect themselves from elder neglect and abuse:
- Visit the facility in person and talk to staff and residents.
- Ask about the facility’s staffing levels and training programs.
- Review the facility’s inspection reports.
- Get everything in writing, including the contract and any service agreements.
- Have a plan for monitoring the quality of care and taking action if there are any concerns.
Q: What is elder neglect?
A: Elder neglect is the failure to provide a senior with the basic necessities of life, such as food, water, shelter, and medical care. It can also include failing to provide a senior with emotional support and companionship.
Q: What are the signs of elder neglect?
A: Some signs of elder neglect include:
- Weight loss or dehydration
- Poor hygiene
- Soiled clothing or bedding
- Withdrawal or isolation
- Changes in mood or behavior
Q: What should I do if I suspect elder neglect?
A: If you suspect elder neglect, you should report it to the authorities immediately. You can also contact a local elder abuse hotline or advocacy organization for assistance.
Q: What are the rights of seniors in senior living facilities?
A: Seniors in senior living facilities have the right to:
- Be treated with respect and dignity
- Receive quality care
- Be free from abuse and neglect
- Make their own decisions about their care
Q: What can I do to protect my loved one from elder neglect in a senior living facility?
A: There are a number of things you can do to protect your loved one from elder neglect in a senior living facility, including:
- Visiting them regularly
- Monitoring their quality of care
- Talking to staff about any concerns you have
- Reporting any suspected abuse or neglect to the authorities
Q: What are some resources for seniors and their families who are concerned about elder neglect?
A: There are a number of resources available to seniors and their families who are concerned about elder neglect, including:
- Local elder abuse hotlines and advocacy organizations
- The National Center on Elder Abuse
- The U.S. Department of Justice’s Elder Justice
- Nation’s Largest Senior Living Facility Operator Settles Lawsuit Filed in California: https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/business/story/2022-03-11/senior-living-facility-operator-settles-lawsuit-with-state
- $1.9 Million Settlement for Elderly Neglect: https://www.feliciacurranlaw.com/notable-case-results/1-9-million-settlement-for-elderly-neglect/